In 1839, the North Carolina General Assembly passed the Education Act which led to the formalization of county school districts. In Wilkes County, these were created on March 4, 1841, as detailed in Volume 1 of the Wilkes County Board of Education Minutes. These boundaries aren't very detailed, but combined with other information, they can be mapped accurately enough to see the general area where families lived.
numbers and boundary lines are the original districts created in 1841. The green
districts are the ones that were added or amended over the following twelve years. The Board of Education was abandoned before the Civil War, but it was re-established in the 1870s. The Minutes books and the individual census pages for each district are available at the NC State Archives and on familysearch.org